Optional heat pump available

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

For even more stringent energy management a highly efficient heat pump is also available as an option for all versions of the Q4 e-tron and the Q4 Sportback e-tron. It rapidly heats and cools the interior using the thermal losses from the electric components and the temperature of the outside air. It uses eco-friendly CO2 as a refrigerant, which flows through the circuit at high pressure. The heat pump can reduce losses in range caused by usage of the climate control system, especially in winter. Its strengths come to the fore on long drives.

CL15

Post by CL15 »

I have ordered my Q4 with the optional heat Pump after reading some reviews about the benefits of having one. Unfortunately my build week has been moved to 2022 and I am unable to confirm if the pump is worth having. Hope Someone can post a review soon. Thanks
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

The heat pump clearly has a borderline cost and performance impact on the WLTP cycle (optimum conditions) otherwise Audi would have included it as standard.

They do not publish range or energy consumption data comparisons for the heat pump, yet still charge £950 for something which may increase range…. Since they have not published that data (which Audi / VW will definitely have from their development) I doubt it’s value.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S
ICDP_EV

Post by ICDP_EV »

The heatpump has very limited return of investment from a monetary sense here in the UK. Having one will add maybe 10 - 20 miles of winter range on a full charge here in the UK. The UK has a mild climate and rarely falls below 0c for a few weeks at a time (unless you are in the highlands of Scotland). So at best you may get ~7% extra efficiency that saves a few pennies but you will never make up the £950 you spent on a heat pump.

The only people it would benefit are those where 10 - 20 extra miles of range on a full charge during winer is the difference between needing a top up, or making it home. Personally, if that was my regular winter driving prolife I would not be looking at an EV in the first place.

So you need to weigh up the benefit/costs because realistically a Q4 with a heat pump will get ~230 miles of winter range, compared to ~210 without a heatpump.

Some comparison videos of an ID.3 with a heatpump compared to one without.

Mild 2.5c

Cold -7c