AC Charging as per Manual and in reality.

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

I took delivery of my car yesterday so set out on a mission today to test out the charging options.

So Far

Charging with the AC 'operating unit' at home charges at 2.5W and the indicator light on car is constant green and the light (5) on page 108 of manual is green and showing 100%.
Manual implies it should flash when charging.

according to manual page 109 this means the car is 'ready to charge' however it is charging in fact, started as soon as car door was locked. It goes white if i unlock the car and green again if I lock it. Doesn't quite fit in with the manual.

I also tried at a 7KW PodPoint AC charger (Tesco) and see the same i.e. solid green light on car. Car indicating it was charging via MyAudi App

I tried 2 DC Chargers . One just kept flashing white at the car and i noticed in dash a red light implying the car charger was faulty. Nothing in manual on that.

tried a 2nd DC 'Ionity' charger and the car light lit red and the message on dash said 'charge not compatible'.

Currently wondering if there is a fault in the car or just a woefully inadequate/wrong manual.

Going to try another DC charger tomorrow which will hopefully work but slightly worried the DC charging is dud.

Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

The flashing green on the car is very subtle, it just dims rather than goes out completely. Did have a whole load of warnings at one instavolt DC charger, but worked on the one next to it fine, that was the only time I charged at a DC charger. The 3pin is very slow... I only got 2-2.5kw on it, thankfully got the 7kw pod point at home now
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

Thanks for info. I was very wary at the DC charger given it was first time and light wasn’t flashing as I had expected with AC charging. Kinda scared if honest seeing the red flashing light on my new toy. Now thinking the 2nd DC charger that said about incompatibility might just need handlelifltled to lock properly 🤞

I did however do some googling and apparently there is a well known issue with VW where the plug needs to be put in socket and lifted up ever so slightly … Bingo … I hear a click and light starts pulsing green slowly. Strangely the plug was locked in place before but def no locking sound from socket

I was getting 2.5 from the 13A supply but it’s dropped to 2 now.

On a side not when I picked up the car yesterday it showed 97% full and range of 183. I have set it to do a 100% charge tonight which looks currently like it should have a range of about 270 ish.

Not sure if that has any effect on charging / battery management but planning on driving till it’s down to 5/10. % then will recharge again with limit set to 80%

Anyways feeling very relieved now as was dreading having to take it back to Audi with a fauly
Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

Understand your concern, mine said "charging fault contact workshop" which is never what you want to see! I think it's best to charge to 80% on a regular basis rather than 100%, not sure if it makes a big difference to battery life