Charging Speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
Tony

Post by Tony »

On the plus side we did a free rapid charge today and the range was up to 290ish miles (nice and sunny for once) so that's encouraging, nice to see some high figures there now we're getting out of winter.

Gruv

Post by Gruv »

There doesn't appear to be any logic to it, I used a 22k pod point yesterday but only got a 10.5k charge rate.

The comment about using the Nav is interesting, as I then used the Nav to get to another Porsche HPC and got 120k at that one! my highest ever charge rate. The only other difference was the car was down to 14% so maybe that also makes a difference?

I would like to know what the Audi charging algorithm is, has anyone seen it written down anywhere?
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

A 22 kW Pod Point is an AC charger and the Q4 (and most other EVs) can only charge on AC up to 11 kW.

You need DC to charge higher than 11 kW.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

Gruv wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:29 pm
There doesn't appear to be any logic to it, I used a 22k pod point yesterday but only got a 10.5k charge rate.

The comment about using the Nav is interesting, as I then used the Nav to get to another Porsche HPC and got 120k at that one! my highest ever charge rate. The only other difference was the car was down to 14% so maybe that also makes a difference?

I would like to know what the Audi charging algorithm is, has anyone seen it written down anywhere?
I suspect the charge rate is always better when you are using the VW group chargers. If they want people to keep paying for their charging service it would have to look to be better ?.
On a long journey the Ionity chargers were good but the Gridserve which should be able to provide just as good a service all performed to a max of 50kwh for me which makes me wonder if the software in car deliberately lowers the speed on non VW group chargers.
Sportback21

Post by Sportback21 »

I only got just over 50 kW on my nearest Porsche HPC charger.

With my car charged up yesterday, I was showing just over 280 miles range. Not bad.
Mcr21x

Post by Mcr21x »

Have a Q4 40 and not seen charging speeds over 67 kW - even at the new, dedicated EV charging hub in Fulham.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I had 80kW on a IONITY fast charger with one other car plugged in today, which dropped to 60kW with three cars plugged in.
bigalan

Post by bigalan »

I generally use either the local 22kW charger (AC so I get 10.5-11kw), or a 50kW rapid which generally gives me 45kw (ish).

Only ultra rapid charger I’ve used was Ionity in Perth and it peaked at 128kW which I thought was ok when the temp was 4°C. Got photo evidence too - about 13 mins into this: