Charging Speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
TauntonAudiFan

Post by TauntonAudiFan »

Hi
What charging speed are people achieving?
I have Q4 40, which should charge at upto 125kw in the 5 to 80% charge range.
Even after driving for 2 hours, at 12 degrees ambient air temperature and on 300kw charger (that a big e-trim has just been drawing over 155kw) - the maximum I can get is 55kw.
On a range of fast chargers with a warm battery I can only get 50kw.
Is this typical, or as I suspect, have I got a faulty charging system ?
Any advice welcome ….

Sportback21

Post by Sportback21 »

My car responds exactly the same as yours.

I've used the Porsche Dealer HPC unit at Bristol with a relatively warm battery, 40 miles of motorway driving prior to charging and I too was getting around the 50kW figure .

On 50 kW units It charges slightly quicker on the Instavolt units compared to Shell.

Next month hopefully, I will have access to some new 135kW Shell chargers near to me, keen to try those out.
Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

We did first long drive today and stopped at instavolt at Banbury, think 150kw and got 50kw for most of the charge even when 5 others EVs turned up, this was at about 57% charge to 80%, after 90mins motorway, but was 3c and that rate was expected, would have been great to get more but did the job. Actually pleased got 2.8m/kWh average mostly motorway at 70 and getting colder going north, down to 1c so hoping that will be much better in summer.
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

I’ve peaked at around 78 kW on a charge from 30 - 80% on a 150 kW DC charger.

Haven’t got anywhere near 135 kW.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S
TauntonAudiFan

Post by TauntonAudiFan »

Not sure why any of us should be content with this. Compared to many EVs, the 125 kw charge speed isn’t that fast anyway. Other vehicles also have a battery preheat function.
To only achieve 40% of the designed charge speed is abysmal, and means the utility of the car is severely compromised for long journeys.
I am pursuing this with Audi - will feedback ….👍
TheSarge

Post by TheSarge »

TauntonAudiFan wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:45 am
Not sure why any of us should be content with this. Compared to many EVs, the 125 kw charge speed isn’t that fast anyway. Other vehicles also have a battery preheat function.
To only achieve 40% of the designed charge speed is abysmal, and means the utility of the car is severely compromised for long journeys.
I am pursuing this with Audi - will feedback ….👍
Good luck, let me know if they tell you to reset the key user and send screenshots of your vehicle connection :D :D
Gruv

Post by Gruv »

I have now tried two different Porsche HPC (350kW) chargers and only managed to get a max of 68kw on my Q4 40!
Will be interesting to see Audi's response.
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

PXL_20211220_124136402.jpg

Freezing temperatures at an ionity in France after driving 100 miles or so.
Above 20 or 30 percent though I get about 80.
Tim6181

Post by Tim6181 »

Gruv wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:56 pm
I have now tried two different Porsche HPC (350kW) chargers and only managed to get a max of 68kw on my Q4 40!
Will be interesting to see Audi's response.
I used a 135kw charger for the first time yesterday as was the first long distance drive I'd done

Had been driving 2.5 hours before, about 10 degrees. Only got 68kw max. Never know with these though is it the car, or is it just the charging infrastructure at 9am in the morning can't pump out that much juice.

It was fast enough to get the charge I needed for the return journey while I had some breakfast, but you are paying a premium at these chargers for the speed that it certainly didn't deliver to me
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

Only chargers I have had anywhere near the max charging rate were at the 350kw chargers at Gretna which are Ionity. Thats a 2 hour drive away from home so car def has time to warm up.

Its interesting that the ONLY times I seem to get over 100kw are when I have been navigating via the MMI Nav and it has chosen the particular charger.

Gridserve one's dont get more than about 50kw despite being rated at over 100 even if battery is down to 10/15%.

If all the chargers worked as the Ionity ones seem to I would be more than happy but alas most are a bit disappointing.

Given the owners of Ionity it does make me wonder if their software in the cars prioritises their own chargers and gives a better experience too and perhaps restricts charge rate at competitors chargers