Range: Quoted-v-Actual

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
GDancer

Post by GDancer »

I'm new to forums (not just this forum, all forums) so if I'm trampling over etiquette, my apologies.
I can't see this posted elsewhere when searching so again forgive my newbiness if I'm repeating existing topics.

Our Q4 50 Quattro had a quoted max range of 285 miles but after a few isolated 100% charges the most we get to is 211 miles. This is a 26% reduction in the quoted figure & all I get from dealer is let it bed in, real-life range is dependent on driving style etc. This is a major problem & we paid the extra £10k+ for a 50 so we could take on long-distance UK holidays without multiple charging breaks.

Does everybody else have the same issue? Will the long-awaited week 48 (2021) MyAudi update resolve this (along with timer charging/locking/profiles/routing etc!)

Thanks.
Q4 50 Quattro SLine w/ comfort pack, matrix lights, adaptive suspension, tow-bar & dash-cams
Frustrated & wished bought BMW again

Leighq4

Post by Leighq4 »

I have the Q4 40 Edition 1 with a WLTP range of 316 miles...

The WLTP testing allows drivers to compare ranges based on a standardised series of tests and does not represent the majority of driving. Also remember, that everything you operate in the vehicle from the sat nav to the air conditioning has an impact to a greater or lesser extent on the range of the vehicle.

I am averaging 3.0 miles/kWh so am getting an average of 250 miles (ish) per 100% charge, but I do mostly motorway driving (which again drains the range) and I think if I drive for 250 miles non stop, I'll be more than ready for a break (I know my bladder will be... :D )

I wouldn't hold your breath for the MyAudi app update...
Q4 40 Edition 1 in Navarra Blue with Heat Pump, C+S & Tech Packs
Tony

Post by Tony »

I think this has been posted a few times -

https://ev-database.uk/car/1490/Audi-Q4-e-tron-40

Good link, not sure who normally comes in and explains all of this (I shall refer to them as the Forum Expert 😀) but it's really down to the way WLTP do the tests. It's not technically wrong, just not very real-world accurate - much like if you drove a petrol car at 55mph vs 100mph your MPG is going to suffer.

This is an interesting video showing how different factors can affect your range.

Stats from video
70mph all systems off, 2.6m per kWh, 200miles range
70mph all systems on, 9m per kWh, 146 miles range

We're planning on a 600mile round trip to Cornwall next month so I've already warned my wife to NOT use the heated seats for four hours.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I just remembered actually there's a range mode available in the MMI. It limits the car to a maximum speed of 55mph and disables all energy draining features such as heated seats 😂
GDancer

Post by GDancer »

Thanks for replies all but I wasn't referring to miles driven but the range displayed after completing a 100% charge.
Q4 50 Quattro SLine w/ comfort pack, matrix lights, adaptive suspension, tow-bar & dash-cams
Frustrated & wished bought BMW again
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

The range displayed will adjust according to your most recent driving. So if it's been efficient it'll be higher - if you've been driving motorway in the cold it'll be much lower.
Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

We have the 40 edition 1 with 21" wheels and I did 360 mile round trip at the weekend, most of it motorway/dual carriageway doing 70 for most of it and less than 10c outside, averaged 2.9m/kWh did two stops for 25 minutes, the Sunday was rammed at the instavolt with all 8 chargers being used, we were lucky didn't have to queue! Worked well and would have wanted to stop anyway. Would have been touch and go doing the full 180 mile journey without stopping though I think.
bigalan

Post by bigalan »

I currently struggle to average more the 3.0 mi/kWh in my daily driving in my 40 S-Line (20" wheels). To be fair to the car I have the heated seat on for the start of most journeys, and the heating is on (but air-con off), so I'm not particularly trying to be economical. Range is normally about 230 miles at the moment.

I did a 360 mile round trip in fairly cold conditions in Dec and got about the same. Tried out a couple of different chargers and charged from 7-81% in 41 mins - I didn't need to charge to 81% for the journey but it meant I had 100+ miles left when I got home so I didn't need to charge for a few days.

Shaggie44

Post by Shaggie44 »

That quoted range is in the most ideal of conditions. In winter range suffers alot.

Your 211 is in the ball park figure for winter temps, although I am getting round 230 miles in current weather (40 version on 20inch).

In summer it will be a bit closer.