Newbie considering an Audi Q4...

New to the Audi Q4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi all,
New here. Current BMW 2.0d owner and now looking for a replacement.

Needs to be similar size to X3 and wanting to go electric, considering the Audi Q4, Skoda Enyaq and the Volkswagen ID.4

Now I know this probably doesnt sound great but I'm almost ruling the Skoda out as looking for a premium badge. And out of the ID.4 and Q4 I definitely prefer the looks of the Q4.

Just trying to figure out the ins and outs of electric car ownership before taking the plunge!

Any advice for newbies?

Soundtekk

Post by Soundtekk »

I am quite disappointed in my Q4 Sline 40 C&S pack. Compared to my old Merc and previous BMW, they aren’t built to the same high quality despite the marketing. For example, the door pockets aren’t lined with rubber, therefore everything rattles, there is only an old style parcel shelf so I have to remove that when I put the dogs in the back. Where to store it ? The charging cables have no proper storage, the start/stop button and volume controls should be interchangeable for LHD/RHD cars, but no. For a car with the extras costing over £50k, I would consider a Kia EV6. Just my thoughts after 10 days.
Geh2021

Post by Geh2021 »

Hi,

That’s never going to be an easy answer! I have a 35 S-line, and it’s my fifth Audi, so agree the quality in places is now questionable, particularly the dash lower down and door pockets. I can say after two month driving the car, the seats are comfortable, loads of space in the rear for passengers, dash is clear, sound system is very good (I have the C&S pack), ride is ok, handling is fine, but you have to remembered it’s no lightweight, and boot space is more than adequate for my needs. The question I’m asked all the time is about range. I looked at my journeys, and most weeks it’s about 100 miles a week, so the 35 is perfect for me, and I have a home charger. My 350 mile trip to Cornwall will require some planning, but I always stop half way for a break anyway, so I’ll make sure there’s are charging point where I stop.

I looked at the Skoda and VW, and both have their plus points, the Skoda is bigger and slightly cheaper, and has more standard equipment, but I didn’t like the shape at the rear. The VW it was the dash that I didn’t like, and the price to get the extras I wanted put it too close to the cost of the Q4. It wasn’t the badge, as they are both well built (I remember the Skoda 120), but in the end the Audi ticked more boxes for me. And I have to say I’m more than happy with the car.

One thing to note, if you order the C&S pack, make sure you order the Function Pack otherwise there is no where to store the cables out of sight.
Audi Q4 e-tron s-line 35, Narvarra Blue, Comfort & Sound pack.

EDF referral scheme where we both get £50 added to your account if you sign up using this link.

https://referme.to/grahamh-586
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

Dan, as per soundtekk above, I have previously had Mercs and BMW before and there is a huge drop in quality moving to Audi (certainly for the Q4).

I have a Q4 S-Line 40 Sportback with C&S and am somewhat disappointed.

In terms of value for money you are paying for a car that is lower than AMG line put has a premium plus price tag and all the nice touches in a Merc that avoid rattles etc just aren't there in the Audi. Feels like overpaying to the tune of about £20k
Tony

Post by Tony »

Having come from a 15-year old Honda civic (don't ask) I'm pretty impressed with the car.

Having said that my in-laws have a Q3 and Q7 and there's definitely some reduction in quality in terms of plastics used here and there.

Based on what I've read it's a combination of the cost of having an electric platform (electric cars are £5000 to £10,000 more expensive than petrol) and some, admittedly, cost cutting on the apart of Audi.

If you think of your Q4 as really being a £30000 electric Q3 that might explain the issues 😀

I can't really compare to other cars, my only other point of reference for an electric car is a Tesla and the Audi is a lot better than that.

However the app is useless, that I can agree on.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Soundtekk wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:40 pm
The start/stop button and volume controls should be interchangeable for LHD/RHD cars, but no.

I totally agree with you on that point. It's completely stupid having the passenger reach over the drive selector to change the volume.

On the plus side I've discovered I never actually have to stop or start the car with that button.

Just push the brake pedal in, select drive then drive away. When you stop just press p, leave the car then lock it.
Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

I agree quality is lower than the Q3 I had before, little things like no felt in the door bins so keys rattle is annoying and slightly more gloss plastics that I'm less of fan of. Having said that the Q3 was a vorsprung and didn't have memory seats or HUD which I love in the Q4. Had a C class plug-in hybrid before and that was a bit plasticy in places. Undoubtedly Audi have reduced quality in some areas to keep price down, building a new fully electric platform isn't cheap, and the extra space inside for basically the same size car as the 2019 Q3 I replaced is worth it for me. I actually am pleased with my purchase. Loads cheaper running costs, not having to spend nearly £500 a year on VED like on the Q3. Also the EQA or ix3 aren't exactly cheap and based on the ICE. Is it perfect nope, but been getting 220 miles of range on most charges (mix of motorway commutes and shorter journeys) during the coldest part of the year and it's starting to improve to nearer 250 which I am happy about. Test will be a longer trip up north in a couple of weeks.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Actually if you test drive a Skoda Kodiak for instance, you'll see that it's quite close to the Q4 in terms of the interior materials and overall quality (at least in the top trim level). Anyway Skoda is just not my cup of tea...but I wouldn't mind more dedication in a Q4, because its one of the best models in this segment