Low Door Sill

All Audi Q4 related discussions
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed this:

The door sills or lower edge of the front doors are designed to cover the ‘skateboard’ floor that houses the battery pack. This means that there is no transition between the door and floor of the vehicle when viewing it from the side - it just looks like a full door panel, which essentially makes the vehicle look cleaner and sharper in design.

It ensures that the vehicle doesn’t look ‘strange’ compared to a conventionally fuelled vehicle, that has a thin lower chassis structure due to it not having an HV battery pack; however, the problem is that by doing this, the door sill is so much lower and therefore at risk of striking the kerb upon opening, even when the kerb is of an average height.

I’ll investigate more regarding the door edge - it may already be protected , or in the worst case it may be a metallic edge….

This is not good design practice in my opinion and form has overridden function. It is my main issue with the car, having had it for only half a day - especially since I park it on the street.

Aside from this, the already recognised issues regarding My Audi App functionality, and the MMI warning messages, I am quite happy with the product.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S

Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks for pointing this out, it is indeed low! One to keep an eye on.