Planning a long trip this week any tips?

All Audi Q4 related discussions
Tony

Post by Tony »

I'm guessing air con off but in this heat, possibly not doable 😅

- Efficiency mode on
- Consistent acceleration (if possible)

Does using D or B mode make any difference?

Any other tips?

Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

Tony wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:11 pm
I'm guessing air con off but in this heat, possibly not doable 😅

- Efficiency mode on
- Consistent acceleration (if possible)

Does using D or B mode make any difference?

Any other tips?
I usually have it in B mode, like the additional regen, how much difference it makes I don't know...
Tony

Post by Tony »

I had to Google, apparently D is better on Audi's and B means Brake (go figure)

https://electrichasgoneaudi.net/models/ ... cientmode/

"May owners ask questions about what is most efficient.

The answer is D-mode. The reason is that in B-mode you will be ending up recuperating when not needed and that will lose energy during the conversion of kinetic energy to electric energy on the battery. Around 80% of the kinetic energy is put into the battery while recuperating. If you coast you will keep that energy as kinetic energy.

To be able to coast in B-mode you would need to hold foot on the throttle on a specific location, but even the best driver will not be able to shift between driving and coasting at the same speed as in D-mode.

On other cars, B-mode would be more efficient, but Audi has created blended brakes that always do recuperate when pressing the brake pedal if possible. That’s why you don’t waste energy using the brake pedal on the Audi Q4 e-tron"
Tony

Post by Tony »

This is odd as the manual seemed to indicate B was better? 😅
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

For me I use D on the motorway, B on the country roads and in town. Your speed has a huge impact on consumption as does weather and temperature. I tend to cruise along at 60-65. A head wind is the killer on consumption. The ‘econo-gauge’ is a good tool to use to monitor your consumption. Use the sat-nav to monitor range against distance traveled. Use The apps like A better route planner or even the myAudi app to plot you route and charging points and to assess which ones are working and/or are busy. Take the opportunity to charge at every opportunity where you come across decent charging points. I’m planning a trip into north wales this weekend. I plan to ‘fill up’ on the English side of the border as high speed charging points in Wales are like hens teeth although improving. They seem to have a huge reliability issue. Look for accommodation with charging points. Good luck.
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Forgot to mention. On the accommodation front I always ask the owners in advance if the do have a charger. Embarrass them into thinking that installing a charger will increase their business. Installation of 7kw chargers at hotel locations is getting better.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Scotty. Good point about D and B, I've recently started using B after trying out a Polestar 2 but that would be a bit more effort on a motorway so D makes sense there (plus lots of cruise assist).

We've planned it via the IONITY chargers (four of them) to use our free credit up but failing that we're prepared to stop for a top-up now and then. We're carrying a fair load and our dog so it will be interesting to see how the range goes in this heat.
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

If you use A Better Route Planner app you can toggle a number of parameters including extra weight being carried etc. make sure your tyre pressures are ok for carrying extra passengers etc. it does make a difference to your consumption
Ronochan

Post by Ronochan »

I recently did northern England to Netherlands via the Chunnel in a Q4 35 without and problems. Didn’t really bother with eco setting, and ran the AC as normal, why punish yourself.

Most of the advice has been said, but I would add the following. Plan your charging as part of the trip, if you’re passing a town or attraction you’ve never been before, go charge there, and take the 30mins to have a walk about and see something new, rather than just sitting in motorway services or a supermarket car park. I find you often get quieter chargers this way; also It helps the time fly by and enriches the journey.

Don’t get hung up on range, pick a distance that matches the bladder and charge more regularly; on a HPC 4% to 75/80% is about 30mins, charging beyond 80 just slows you down and it would be quicker to stop again than wait for 100%. But do turn on the AC etc whilst still charging near the end so you don’t waste range getting the temp down or up when you set off again, the charger will be ramping down so plenty of capacity to charge and run the AC.

Enjoy
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks, did the aircon trick which worked a treat today.

Not sure on the exact cost so far but we're still using up our £150 credit (I think it's at £86 spent so far) which isn't bad to get to London to Aberdeen!