New Car Order

All Audi Q4 related discussions
AWonderland17

Post by AWonderland17 »

Afternoon everyone 🙂

So the company I work for has just released a green car scheme via Arval. I’ve gone ahead and placed an order for a Q4. I’m massively excited (waiting for confirmation that it’s accepted) as it’s a car I’ve been wanting for ages! I’m aware that the delivery times are insane so I know I’m in for a long wait.

My main question is relating to home chargers. I see a lot of people have the podpoint but as there are seemingly lots of other brands, I wanted to see if there are any incentives towards going with a particular one?

I live in a detached new build home with some PV panels on the roof (SEG scheme where eon send me a cheque once a year, it’s barely worth it). House has an integral garage so installation a charger shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve seen podpoint and I’ve seen wall box? Is there any incentives or any account credit for any?

matta

Post by matta »

If you have panels you’d want to look at a charger that supports variable solar charging so that you can consume as much of that solar as possible.

I’ve recently swapped my PodPoint (installed prior to my panel install) for a Zappi. My 2 EV’s have charged exclusively from solar throughout the summer.
AWonderland17

Post by AWonderland17 »

The panels I’ve got barely generate much power as it is, the eon tariff I’m on for them pays only 3p per kwh generated.

But I’ll take a look at the zappi.

The £150 credit I’ve seen mentioned on here, is thst only for podpoint?
matta

Post by matta »

If that’s the £150 credit from Audi that is unconnected to PodPoint (well certainly was for me). It’s credit for the Audi Charge Service and can be used for various public charge operators that accept the Audi service.
Derfel

Post by Derfel »

Because I ordered my Q4 before the end of March this year - Audi offered me a free Pod Point charger.

That's why so many of us have them - although not used mine yet as the car wont arrive until early 2023!
AWonderland17

Post by AWonderland17 »

Thanks both for replying 🙂

I’ve ordered Q4 sportback 40, C&S pack, tech pack, ambient lighting plus and the dynamic lights package. Also went for the violet paint job.

Does anyone know how much is required from the PV panels to charge a car up to 100% from say 20%?
Murchison 2003

Post by Murchison 2003 »

Hi
You could have loads of panels but if the sun don’t shine the car won’t charge.
Work out how much kWh your house requires to run then add approx 1.4kw which is the minimum excess the charger takes to run then on a good producing day the excess will go to the car. The game changer here is battery storage, if you add that too it helps a lot especially at night if charging on an ev tariff. As for the solar, I would say an 8-10kwh system would be required to give adequate power as 7.7 kw is max rate for a home charger.
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

My 6kW system has spent June/July mornings charging the house battery (10 kWh). We've plugged the car in when we're home in the afternoons and will get on average 10-15% into the car. It's been great for day to day usage, but longer trips we've on occasion reverted to overnight charging.