Q4 Gripes and Changes (Maybe!)

All Audi Q4 related discussions
DRH

Post by DRH »

Here are my gripes and proposed Q4 changes that would make the Q4 a much better vehicle (IMHO) and more worthy of the Audi brand.

Please don't use Piano Black for surfaces, it's awful, it requires constant cleaning and looks horrible after any period of use.
The haptic style 'buttons' on the steering wheel are another bad idea, they're really bad as its way too easy to inadvertantly select a function. Bring back individual buttons (as is the case with the Skoda Enyaq I believe).
There is a shared perception, from reviewers and owners, that this car that has been obviously cost cut and it shows, Audi is supposed to be a premium brand and customers are willing to pay more for that. Cost cutting examples include, the use of cheap hard plastics, exposed front seat rails, rear drum brakes (!!), you cannot lower the rear seats from the boot (trunk), haptic steering wheel buttons and so on.
Provide a fully functional and tested MyAudi app, what you have released now is at best a beta release, even basic functionality is still not working, what is wrong with the software development team(s)?
Provide a fully functional and tested vehicle software version that both fixes the functionality that still doesn't work properly (such as user profiles) and provides long promised functionality such as an OTA update capability, 175 KW charging (as per the forthcoming VW IDx software release), Ionity plug and charge capability etc. VW is about to release v2.4 which will support OTA updates and then v3.0 and communicates this fact to its users.
What is the story on battery pre-conditioning?
Implement the 360 Degree camera facility, as can be specified on other Audi cars such as the e-Tron and e-Tron GT, this removed from the car along with wireless phone charging.
Why is the Q4 now restricted in terms of paint choice, what is the rationale for this?
There has been no communication with your prospective, and existing, UK customers, regarding the withdrawal of the Vorsprung specification, what does that mean for those customers who have ordered this model?

Just a conversation piece please comment as you feel appropriate.

I edited my original post as it was to 'rambly'!
Last edited by DRH on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Citizen

Post by Citizen »

You make a lot of valid points after reading comments of those who already have their cars. Maybe you might want to consider cancelling your order, or better still, flip it when you get it. Sure you will get more than you paid.
DRH

Post by DRH »

I really don't want to cancel my order, I like the car I've ordered,I'm just frustrated (as are many others) at order progress, Audi's design and build decisions and a total lack of detailed communication to their loyal customer base.
petethecanuck

Post by petethecanuck »

Preach!

Your first two points are why I am holding off ordering or getting on a wait list (as is the case here in Canada) until they replace the piano black and the haptic steering wheel "buttons".

I've sussed out car wrapping garages where I live to see if I can get the piano black wrapped in a 3M matte or carbon black vinyl film.

Many YouTube EV review channels have brought up and agreed with your points so surely Audi must be aware of the customer feedback.

I am hoping a facelift will come sometime in the MY2024-26 versions. I can wait a few more years. The piano black on the centre console has got to go though.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I've been test driving a lot of the competitors recently and I have to admit I'm still very impressed with my Q4. In terms of design, build quality, and technology only the Polestar 2 is better maybe followed by the Mercedes EQA but it's a bit overly fussy in design. The Q4's main issue is the technology but once you get past that it is a very solid car.

The Tesla Model Y definitely wins when it comes to technology but I have to admit the general build quality and finish of that car was not impressive when I drove it, I still very much want a dashboard in my car and not a giant iPad.