Home charging with a Podpoint Solo

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Looking for some guidance/ experience of getting the Q4 to accept a podpoint scheduled charge at the max rate - circa 6.5kw

For unscheduled charging the pod-point Will deliver circa 6.5kw no problem. However, just of late for scheduled charging between the magical hours of 0030 and 0430 the podpoint only delivers 3.5kw.

Getting the Q4 to accept a scheduled charge from the pod-point is proving to be very problematic. Audi as yet does not allow you to schedule a charge via the vehicle. A number of error messages will appear on the vehicle’s MMI system saying the charger is incompatible with this vehicle or a general message referring to a charging fault. Disappointing when this charger type was supplied and fitted as part of Audi’s sales incentives. Whilst a procedure for charging this type of vehicle via scheduled charging is not clear from the podpoint instructions it has been a matter of trial and error for the vehicle to accept a scheduled charge via the podpoint. The procedure i have adopted is:

In the podpoint app unschedule all charging sessions.
Connect charging cable to podpoint then connect to vehicle
Vehicle accepts charge - podpoint tell-tale light is solid green - charge performance on vehicle suggests vehicle is drawing 6.5kw
In the podpoint app, switch on ‘schedule active’ button for all days and ‘save’
After approx 5 mins the tell-tale light on the charger changes to solid yellow telling me that a charge schedule is programmed. Podpoint goes into standby mode.
At scheduled start time, vehicle starts to charge - charge performance on vehicle suggest vehicle is drawing only 3.5kw (this used to be 6.5kw) - no change in this charge status throughout charge period.

Podpoint has been reset - no difference in performance.

Any advise gratefully accepted

TheSarge

Post by TheSarge »

Mine has just started doing exactly what you have described! The Pod Point scheduling was working fine up until a few weeks ago and now I have to go through the procedure above to get it to work.

When will Audi pull their finger out with the Q4 software, it’s so very poor!
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Thanks for replying. I’ve reported this scenario to Podpoint who have escalated the case to their technical people. Dear knows when they will reply. When they do I will post a reply.
TheSarge

Post by TheSarge »

I checked last night and my car is also only charging at 3.5kw overnight but is currently at 7kw (day time).. looks like Podpoint have issued a dodgy update!
TheSarge

Post by TheSarge »

ScottyQ4 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:48 pm
Thanks for replying. I’ve reported this scenario to Podpoint who have escalated the case to their technical people. Dear knows when they will reply. When they do I will post a reply.
I read on a id4 forum of the same issue and Podpoint has said just let the car turn red, it will charge when scheduled.. I did this last night and low and behold, the car charged when it was set to during the cheap period.. so there is no need to go though the faff of resetting your Podpoint everytime by the looks of things. I didn’t resolve the slow charge speed though.
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Looks like we are not alone then. Yeah, the sequence for a scheduled charge appears to be plug the car in, tell tale light flashes white for a while then turns red. Various warnings appear on the dash; car picks up the handshake at the scheduled time and begins to charge. Only at 3.5kw though and not the normal 6.5kw I was enjoying way back in November. Hey-ho. I await the podpoint reply
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

I just about had it with the poor user interface on podpoint. Last night I opened the unit up, hijacked 12v from the podpoint and added a smart relay that closes the pins on the port for the optional key module.

Now my podpoint is 'locked' and gets unlocked on my schedule by my home server. I also get a simple manual override if I want a charge outside the schedule.

Much easier than the clunky podpoint app.
TheSarge

Post by TheSarge »

lexathon wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:37 pm
I just about had it with the poor user interface on podpoint. Last night I opened the unit up, hijacked 12v from the podpoint and added a smart relay that closes the pins on the port for the optional key module.

Now my podpoint is 'locked' and gets unlocked on my schedule by my home server. I also get a simple manual override if I want a charge outside the schedule.

Much easier than the clunky podpoint app.
I understand none of this :D
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

I assume by 'Smart Relay' you mean a wifi/alexa/google enabled switch, great idea if so. Would be a useful skill if Podpoint were to implement it themselves
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

rxtaylor1966 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:02 am
I assume by 'Smart Relay' you mean a wifi/alexa/google enabled switch, great idea if so. Would be a useful skill if Podpoint were to implement it themselves
Yeah exactly.