Not quite what I expected....oh dear

All Audi Q4 related discussions
Shaggie44

Post by Shaggie44 »

Am I the only one that feels underwhelmed with the Q4? I have had it 3 weeks and already thinking of getting rid of it!

1. Range - Estimated range in car is way off real world range on the long drives. E.g started off from from Nottingham with 178 miles range (car on efficiency) driving 115 miles to Luton. Avg speed 60 mph, for every 2 miles or so range was dropping by 10 miles, I had to turn off the heating (acc was off) 10 miles into journey for the car to get home with 30 miles left. Talk about anxiety levels increasing.

2. Lane Keep Assist - this is dangerous period! One of the A roads I drive on has a patch line in the middle of the lane, car thinks its the edge of the lane and starts fighting it.

3. Adaptive Cruise - you would assume it would work in conjunction with the adaptive speed limiter when you get to areas with different speed...nope.
- phantom braking
-late braking
-slow speed build up there is a jerky motion that makes your head tap the head rest

4. myAudi App - unless the much anticipated update adds more functionality, in its current form its rubbish. Having to go to a dealer to activate an app is a fuss.

5. Some of the items I ordered where taken out, no comms from Audi.

Previously I had a BMW 530e for about similar money naturally I assumed quality would be in the ball park, nope this feels 5k to 10k overpriced.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Sorry to hear! For me point 4 is the worst, the app is useless. Can't say I've had any issues with lane assist or the range dropping but that is worrying!

I have a bad feeling we're all being punished, in one way or another, for getting a brand new model 😞

Also, legally, can Audi remove items from a car that you may have paid extra for without any form of compensation?!
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

I am less than happy with mine and agree that compared to an ICE car it does seem to be same level as a car £10/15k cheaper. Is that the diff in price between having a traditional engine and an electric motor, who knows ?

1. Range - I seem to be getting around 220 Miles on a full charge on a 40 S-Line which is a huge drop from the quoted range of over 300, given its winter and averaging 5-8 degrees perhaps thats 'normal'. I would hope in summer it will be much closer to 300

2. Lane Keep Assist - Agreed its dangerous. I immediately turn it off if i remember. I saw a report related to NCAP testing that said the Skoda equiv of this car had 'Aggressive' lane keep assist which is being looked at. Can only presume its same tech.

3. Adaptive Cruise - I actually like this, seems to work pretty well. Perhaps I am more forgiving on its less smooth nature compared to my last ICE as we definitely seem to have gotten less for our money in both refinement and tech. I found some setting in the car that will reduce the speed to match the current speed limit or an increment above it i.e. 2.5/5 mph etc. Havent really noticed too much but the car def starts to slow going from a 70 to 50 zone.

4. My Audi App - There is no defending that, they clearly didn't prioritise the software in this car.

5. I got a cancelled order so didn't have any choice in contents of car but there were def things missing that I had assumed were standard i.e. wireless charging for phone, raised boot floor etc.

6. Twitchy / Erratic Steering - My car seems incapable of maintaining a straight line even on a flat straight road that previous cars were fine on. Almost feels like a gentle fight is going on for direction which is somewhat irritating on journeys of any length.

7. Headlights - I keep getting flashed at night when on low beam. Not sure if its because lights are higher up or they need adjusted properly.

Points 6 & 7 I would have expected to have been checked on build. Waiting on Audi to get a window trim that got damaged during delivery and will get 6 & 7 checked when its in. They also mentioned setting up a warranty claim against the software issues which is their way of registering the car needs the update. Go figure.

8. Sometimes when car pre heating is set up the seat heating for driver comes on too which is nice BUT its random and the manual has no mention of being able to do it.

Overall would I buy it again if I had known this before, its a big NO, given my experience dealing with Audi would I buy an ICE from them, NO. I can only hope these issues are resolved however if not I suspect I will be selling mine.
garysevern

Post by garysevern »

I’ve currently got a Q2 and Q4 has just left the factory.
Lane Assist on my Q2 is pretty gentle and I can turn it on/off easily. Only tend to use it on tight lanes, motorways and at night. Is it not so easy to turn on/off on the Q4.
With Adaptive Cruise Control on the Q2 I only use it on motorways or dual carriageways and I really like it. The only problem I noticed was in traffic jams where the braking was too severe.
rxtaylor1966

Post by rxtaylor1966 »

On the Q4 you can press the button on end of Indicator stalk for about 3 seconds to turn it off. Not the end of the world but would be nice if it remembered on next startup too.
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

Lane keep assist is a legal type approval requirement and it is not possible to disable it permanently.

It may however be possible by using an advanced diagnostics device.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S
OhhBeeOne

Post by OhhBeeOne »

^can be set to remember last setting using OBDEleven.

For mine the let-downs so far are;
Fully charged the car doesn't even pretend to offer close to the advertised range.
Single Zone Climate control on an S-Line with Comfort Plus. (that just annoys me)
Rear light bar not illuminated unless you elect to purchase LED Headlights.
hugodoodle

Post by hugodoodle »

The range is highly influenced by the ambient temperature and corresponding battery temperature and the use of cabin heating, in addition to driving speed. Range will be better in summer on both of these accounts.

Note that the WLTP quoted range is also a type approval requirement and OEMs are not allowed to advertise anything else (though they are permitted to reference in addition, the even older and even more useless reference NEDC). It’s purely intended as a reference with which to compare to other vehicles and in general gain a view on overall efficiency - but generally causes confusion and anger with consumers.
Q4 50 Quattro Edition 1 C+S
Tony

Post by Tony »

I saw this on another forum which might be of interest, re range.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1490/Audi-Q4-e-tron-40
Soundtekk

Post by Soundtekk »

Couldn’t agree more, disappointed is an understatement.