Squeak

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
RFC

Post by RFC »

HI,
I have had my Q4 Sport 50 Quattro for three weeks now. (Ordered Dec 2021) All seems good. Software, no problems, even My Audi app is working well. But I do have one problem that I wonder if anyone else has or have thoughts on. At 26 mph I hear a squeak. It is as I accelerate through 26 and again as I decelerate down. I can't seem to hear it if I try to drive at exactly 26 mph. With hard acceleration you don't really hear it. But with town driving, where you are going through 26 mph all the time, it is noticeable. And of course once you know it's there you can't help listening for it! So I was wondering what the cause of the squeak could be. I have tried with all air con off MMI/speakers off. It is very reproducible, ie. it always happens as I accelerate through 26 mph and again as I slow down through 26 mph. I have not been to the Audi dealer yet as I am still hoping, given time as things bed in, it might go. But no sign of that. (I have done just over 1000 miles) Any ideas? Anyone else have this? Many thanks.

Edam77

Post by Edam77 »

RFC wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:48 pm
HI,
I have had my Q4 Sport 50 Quattro for three weeks now. (Ordered Dec 2021) All seems good. Software, no problems, even My Audi app is working well. But I do have one problem that I wonder if anyone else has or have thoughts on. At 26 mph I hear a squeak. It is as I accelerate through 26 and again as I decelerate down. I can't seem to hear it if I try to drive at exactly 26 mph. With hard acceleration you don't really hear it. But with town driving, where you are going through 26 mph all the time, it is noticeable. And of course once you know it's there you can't help listening for it! So I was wondering what the cause of the squeak could be. I have tried with all air con off MMI/speakers off. It is very reproducible, ie. it always happens as I accelerate through 26 mph and again as I slow down through 26 mph. I have not been to the Audi dealer yet as I am still hoping, given time as things bed in, it might go. But no sign of that. (I have done just over 1000 miles) Any ideas? Anyone else have this? Many thanks.
The flux capacitor? Not one I have had myself sorry
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

For noises emanating from the boot area-Strip the boot of all carpet, cables, shelf, granny charger and other loose items. Tip both the 60:40 split seats and test drive again. It amazing the level of noises this can reveal. If you can replicate the noise with the Audi technician on-board then that’s great. The noise I had was a suspension bush.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Yes I think that will be my next step. The squeak does seem related to motor revs/ speed though.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Just to clarify from my original post, the squeak does not seem to originate from a piece of trim or fitting. It is definitely related to the motor and the number of revs, or perhaps somewhere else in the drive train, a bearing perhaps? (although I hope not) Again, any thoughts much appreciated.