Car drives off if you don't shut the driver's door.

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q4
steveojo69

Post by steveojo69 »

Yesterday I got into my Q4, put my seat belt on but did not shut my door, pressed the brake pedal and put the car in D and when I took my foot of the brake it immediately moved forward. I did it again with the same result just to check. If you do the same but shut your door it engages the handbrake and does not drive off when you release the brake pedal. Anyone else had this happen?

lexathon

Post by lexathon »

Yep. Mine does the same. Not something I've tried before in nearly 2 years of ownership!
lexathon

Post by lexathon »

Thinking about it, the only scenario I can imagine for getting in, pushing the brake and putting it in drive before I close the door is one where I'm 007 and I'm being chased by an evil henchman defined by some obscure accident that created a kind of bizarre but terrifying facial condition.

Pretty sure I'd want it to go before I hit the accelerator.
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Yep. Mine the same. Handy to know when parking the car. For some reason I find this vehicle difficult to park squared up into a bay. Probably something to do with my age??
MQ4

Post by MQ4 »

I completely agree with you Scotty about parking the Q4. I’ve always managed to park previous cars squarely and first time in a space. With the Q4 I need to make several attempts to get it central and not askew or overhanging somehow. Seems really odd.
Is that side mirror kerb view reversing feature embedded somewhere in a menu? Would that help us?
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

Yes you can. Just throw the mirror adjustment switch off to to left and tilt the mirror down to your choice of view. Keep the switch there and the mirror should return to its normal position. Better than keeping the door open to look out behind you when the vehicle is reversed.
Weechancer

Post by Weechancer »

Thank you both - I just thought it was me getting old and not being able to park it correctly….
Barneycars23

Post by Barneycars23 »

ScottyQ4 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:55 pm
Yep. Mine the same. Handy to know when parking the car. For some reason I find this vehicle difficult to park squared up into a bay. Probably something to do with my age??
I have the same trouble with this car .Never happened with any other car I had. Weird,
Tony

Post by Tony »

Might be the reversing lines on the camera, I find they can get a bit skewed then I check the mirrors which are obviously totally set up for moving forwards and not back (even with the left reverse angle trick) which messes me up no end 😔