Audi timer charging random switch on?

All Audi Q4 related discussions
Q4 owner Norfolk

Post by Q4 owner Norfolk »

Since my last app update it appears that the Audi charging timers switch themselves on blocking my intelligent Octopus app has anyone else found this?

Audi team tell me they are aware of a glitch and are loading with Octopus to fix, but suggested I deleted the app and stop using it!

Then they suggested if I delete and reinstall it might fix temporarily but I’m not convinced.

mrkch52

Post by mrkch52 »

Exactly the same problem...

I have been charging my Audi Q4 40 Edition 1 e-tron successfully with ‘Intelligent Octopus Go’ for around 11 months. Both my vehicle and Pod Point Solo 3 charger are fully compatible with Octopus’ requirements.

I received and email from Octopus on 29th February this year saying, 'Sorry! We didn’t charge your car as expected', even though the car had charged perfectly. The email went on... 'We may have run into issues when trying to charge your car between the 26th and 28th of February. As soon as we noticed, we got to work and resolved the issue. There’s nothing you need to do, but if you suspended control or set up your own charging schedule as a result of this, it’s now safe to return to your regular setup and enjoy hassle free charging under Intelligent Octopus Go.'

I had charged my car on 26th, 27th and 28th of February with no problem – February 29th was when my charging problem began.

Now, when I plug my Pod Point charger into the car, a Smart Charging schedule is automatically set up in the Octopus app. When Octopus then put the car into sleep mode, it unfortunately also creates a schedule on the car’s MMI for 6 days ahead and switches the timer on. If I cancel that car schedule, charging begins straight away and ignores the Smart Charging schedule set in the Octopus app. If I don't cancel the car schedule, charging successfully follows the Smart Charging schedule set in the Octopus app. Once again though, each time the car is put to sleep during the Octopus schedule, the schedule on the car’s MMI is updated with a different time but always for 6 days ahead. In the morning I am still left with a timer set in my vehicle for 6 days ahead which I have to manually cancel and switch off.

I have been in constant email discussion with Octopus since the end of February but they suspect the myAudi app to be the problem and suggested I update it. The myAudi app on my mobile is always up-to-date but on 21st March I made sure the most recent version was installed and as I suspected, no difference to my charging problem. I suspect that is because Octopus are sending signals to my car and the myAudi app is totally independent, (in fact, not even needed), for charging to be successful with Intelligent Octopus Go. The myAudi app merely reflects the settings in the vehicle and allows only me to change them if required – it does not interact with Octopus.

Is it too much of a co-incidence that the problem only began after Octopus said they had resolved a problem on 29th February that I didn't even know existed? I believe it must be an Octopus signalling error to the car each time it is put to sleep during the Smart Charging cycles. In the meantime, suspend Smart Charging in your Octopus app and schedule charging using either the car or your home charger to come on during the cheaper 11:30pm - 5:30am time slot.

Keep us updated with any progress from your side.
Q4 owner Norfolk

I’ve had the exact same experience, word for word with Octopus and Audi both blame each other!
Both said delete the respective apps and reload as this might help short term I’m not convinced and won’t try as connecting back will be a problem I can guarantee.

I had been charging successfully for nearly 2 years until then. I cancel the car schedule but this seems to trigger immediate charging and then the Octopus app tells me it failed to control my car.
Really annoying as I’ m now charging on peak if I don’t override it.
I hope we / someone gets a fix.
DocH

Post by DocH »

Getting the same thing here. As it's unlikely the car will be plugged in at the time set by these random timer events, it's not a big issue.
Have tried just turning off intelligent charging and using my charger app to set the time for 23:30 - 05:30 and that seems to work fine.
Has the added benefit of allowing me to use excess solar export for charging too.
=======================================
MY24 Q4 Black Edition
Navarra Blue, Tech Pack
Intelligent Octopus, Simpson & Partners Home Plus charger
https://share.octopus.energy/kind-star-628
=======================================
Q4 owner Norfolk

Thanks for the update, my concern is that intellgent won’t work if the car timer is active I’m going to try and leave both on tonight and see what happens