Motorway Miles/Range Query

All Audi Q4 related discussions
Newbie2EVs

Post by Newbie2EVs »

We are new to EVs and looking to buy a Q4 E-tron 45 sportback, I think it's the 210kw version. Dealer has told us that it has a range of up to 329 miles, which sounds great but as I have to do a regular 280 mile return journey one evening each week, I'm a bit concerned about how realistic that is. My route is almost all motorways or 70mph dual carriageways and I don't want to be in the position where I have to do what is already an over two hour each way journey, at less than the speed limit.

There are Tesla Superchargers close by my destination so the dealer is suggesting all will be well. Is this the case? What's the real world motorway range at 70mph? What happens if the charger isn't working? We are booked to have a 45 minute test drive at the end of next week but I don't think that's going to answer my question. I'm not a naturally warm person so will want things like heated seats and heater on as well. I really like the look of the car but my husband doesn't think it's suitable.

If anyone can give me some real world driving feedback, I'd be very grateful, especially if it helps my case!

Thank you.

Zstar

Post by Zstar »

In our Q4 40 with heat pump I know I have managed the following journeys 212miles (cold day), 252 miles (good weather). Can't remember if that was efficiency mode and whether I used much aircon. I think the 45 give you 10 miles extra range or so, but for a 280 mile jouney I would say you would need a bit of charge to get you back and have a comfortable contingency.
smd

Post by smd »

I've just got a 45 and at the moment 290 mls
with heat pump, it did go up to 296 today thinking because it was warmer, we will have to see,
2024 black edition q4 45
navarra blue
tech pack
heat pump
andy_256

Post by andy_256 »

In my Q4 40 (no heat pump) which I bought new in September 2023 I am getting currently in the UK between 209 and 225 on a full 100% charge. I know lots of people will say it depends on how you drive and external things and that's absolutely correct. I think i'm an average driver, I don't drive too mad but don't drive it like I'm frightened to go too fast.

When we picked up the car in September 2023 it was fully charged and showing 315 range. Very quickly with real world usage that dropped to 280 with an average of 3.8 miles per KwH. My average now is 2.9 miles per KwH.

Last weekend I travelled to Manchester from south Birmingham on Friday, on to Glasgow on Saturday, Glasgow to Manchester on Monday daytime and back to Birmingham that evening. You have to plan ahead so first few journeys were fine. Coming back from Glasgow yesterday the wind was awful and that impacted my range massively. Ended up stopping and charging to get to an event in Manchester but had to top up on the way back to Birmingham after, I didn't want to have to do this at 11:30pm. The distance was 89 miles and I put a quick charge up to 120 miles. That buffer of 31 miles wasn't enough and I ended up setting cruise control at 65 to save miles. Got home with 15 miles to spare.

I love the car and the drive but charging when on a journey needs a lot of thought and a bit of luck. Chargers out of order is not uncommon, multiple apps on your phone is a pain, expensive to charge on the road which would make driving more expensive than a ICE vehicle. Having said that I charge mostly at home using an Ohme charger and Octopus Intelligent. Charging then is significantly cheaper than putting diesel in my 2litre Q5 TDI i.e It was about £85 to fill my Q5, to get the same distance in the Q4 is well under £20.

If I knew then what I know now would I have gone for the Q4......probably.

Hope that helps.
Gazza299

Post by Gazza299 »

ANDY there is good news here.
When i first got my Q4 my mileage was rubbish until around 4/5k miles then it went onto average around 3.2 mile per kwh.
ScottyQ4

Post by ScottyQ4 »

220 miles winter and 280 miles summer. Wind and rain can play havoc with these ranges. As said plan, plan, plan for those longer journeys. You get to know the reliable/ unreliable public chargers very quickly.
Tony

Post by Tony »

This site is super helpful

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/2013/Audi-Q4-e-tron-45

Real Range Estimation between 185 - 380 mi
City - Cold Weather * 255 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 185 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 220 mi

City - Mild Weather * 380 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 235 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 295 mi

We have a 40 2021 model and as an average, over the past three years, I would say expect 220 miles so sadly not enough for your daily drive unless you drove under 70mph and get stuck in traffic a lot.
Addav

Post by Addav »

I often do a 300 mile return journey (all Motorway) I have to be economical to save range. I set to eco mode, use the air con/heating when I need to, travel at around 68mph on cruise control. In winter, the worst consumption was 2.9 miles per kw, this equates to around 220 miles range. I use a charger at my destination for a few hours which is usually enough to get me back. Although, I have stopped on a few occasions to charge and top up the range. A 15-20 min stop is enough to give me an extra 70ish miles of range.
Murchison 2003

Post by Murchison 2003 »

you should get 0.7 real miles per 1 mile of range on the car odometer at 70 mph on a good weather day.